This is something that has been on my mind since I was pregnant. How in the world do working moms make this kind of a decision? Since both options require moms to make the tough decision of letting someone else raise the child. In a perfect world, you would most likely prefer to stay home with your child until he/she reaches school age, but staying home doesn’t pay the bills.
In order to decide which option was right for me I made a list of pros and cons for each option:
The “Pros” of hiring a nanny include:
- Nanny stays in your house so she follows the rules you make.
- Nanny dedicates her time to your child/children only.
- Nanny may help out around the house.
- Nanny will work in your home, making it more comfortable for your child to stay in a familiar environment.
The “Cons” of hiring a nanny include:
- Individual care may be more expensive than other day care facilities.
- You may not find the “perfect” nanny right away, making it stressful to find one that works well
- Having a stranger in your home with the child all day may be uncomfortable.
- No guarantees that your child will not be mistreated or given the quality of care you expect
- Hiring a nanny means payroll, taxes, vacation time, insurance, sick/personal days, vacations, and finding a back-up sitter when your nanny is unavailable
The “Pros” of enrolling your child in daycare include:
- Daycare may be a more affordable child care option.
- Your child will be supervised by more than one adult (in many cases).
- Many Day cares must meet state regulations for sanitation and safety.
- Your privacy is protected since there will not be anyone in your home.
- Socialization with other children is a key component.
The “Cons” of enrolling your child in daycare include
- Your child is more susceptible to illness due to picking up germs/viruses.
- More prep is needed in the morning.
- Employee turnover may be high.
- When your child is sick you may be forced to miss work.
- Your child will have to conform to a schedule he is not used to (as opposed to the one you have at home).
- Little flexibility for scheduling or control
I would love some suggestions, moms, what do you think? Did you put your child with a nanny or in a day care? What were the pros and cons of your situation? What would you recommend for new moms trying to make this decision?