Connect with us facebook twitter youtube Instagram Printerest rss

Protective styles

Home Forums Parenting Lifestyle Beauty & Lifestyle Protective styles

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of aloted aloted 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    9jaMom Editor

November 25, 2011 at 5:23pm

Hi ladies
    what protective styles are we planning to do esp for those abroad considering winter is upon us?
    I am indecisive, so hoping to get some inspiration.

Thanks
    Aloted

The Lazy 9ja Mom
    Keymaster

November 25, 2011 at 5:52pm
    So I’ve been seeing the use of the term ‘protective style’ but can’t really say I know exactly what it means although I can infer what it should be… It would be nice to know what I’d any guidelines are there about what is considered a protective style – e.g if u use your hair is that enough?… I’m looking at doing some braids – either the Senegalese twists or just regular braids – nothing too fancy….I’ve been doing just the two stranded twists but its drying out so quickly that I think I need to do more as well…

This is a great question though – would be nice to see what others are doing…I’ve only added more questions than answers, lol!

What are some styles you have in mind – maybe we can help you decide or I can steal (ehm, get inspired) by the style at least ;)

aloted

November 26, 2011 at 3:14pm

yah all these naturals use a lot of terms and lingo don’t they we? lol

i think protective styles means your ends are tucked away against the elements of harsh weather and other things. not sure what the technical meaning is. so hopefully a guru can come and assist ;)

Well so its a long story…i am suppose to be on a “braid fast” as I am growing back my edges and i don’t want to put any stress on my edges so was considering half wigs which i am actually using now but it appears i am reacting to it.some small rashes are appearing on my nape!

so i am back to square one! i want a style that will last for some time… oh yah i react to weaves as well…

looks like i’ll have to braid if i can’t find any alternative..hence my question in the first place

hope i have not confused u yet..lol..

The Lazy 9ja Mom
    Keymaster

November 28, 2011 at 11:46am

Nope you haven’t confused me yet, lol! Yes oh, trying to keep up so I don’t look like outsider sha… he he

hmm, that makes sense (i.e. about it being specific to the ends)…oya house gurus – answer us oh!

Haba you are reacting to everything except braids, pele looks like your hair wants to abstain from the other styles instead … I’ve heard the nappy twists/nubian twists are not too hard on the roots/edges so it might be something to consider instead of full on braids?

Yeah this is a hard one considering a lot of the other options are causing issues – or maybe a ponytail? Your ends will be protected abi?

aloted

November 29, 2011 at 6:52am

na so i see am o. My husband says i am delicate..whatever that means

which one is nubian twist/nappy twist.. is that afro kinky?

The Lazy 9ja Mom
    Keymaster

November 30, 2011 at 6:25am

ehm, no comment about the delicate

did I say nappy twists, sorry brain fart – meant kinky twists which I’m guessing is afro Kinky…. Nubian twists are the new version I just discovered – this is the clearest pic I can find of me with the nubian twists. It’s like Kinky twists but softer and looks more real, almost like dreads… I’m leaning towards that for my protective style…

photo

aloted

November 30, 2011 at 10:21am

ah ok! looks nice!

where did u get them done? I presume you are in the UK?

The Lazy 9ja Mom
    Keymaster

November 30, 2011 at 10:27am

In the US, got them done while visiting family in CA so I will be trying out a new hairstylist for the first time, hmmm – hope it works out. Here’s another pic of someone I found on google images – much clearer, and guess what, the image tagline said ‘protective’ so I guess we’re on track, lol!

I might get mine shorter like this picture…
    picture

aloted

December 1, 2011 at 11:18am

Ah ok.. Yah looks really nice.
    I’ll stick to wigs for now and review later.

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pregnancy Week by Week

Are you pregnant? Tell us how far along you are to see what to expect week-by-week.

I'm

Go to my week

Pregnant

Baby Name Finder

Type in a Name to see its Meaning, Gender,Origin and Others you might like:

Name

9ja mom recipes

Connect With Us
facebook twitter youtube Instagram Printerest rss

Tools & Resources

Our tools, calculators, calendars, checklists, and worksheets help reduce the stress of pregnancy and parenting. Find answers you need for baby names, calculating your due date, trying to conceive, tracking your child's development or fun crafts and family activities, delicious mom-rated recipes and more!

Search